Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

I love Shepherd's Pie. It's one of those comfort foods that just helps me feel better no matter what is going on. I recall the first time I ever had it I think I was supposed to be VTing, but somehow I got the service on this one. I was pregnant and emotional, and a friend had made it- she said it was leftovers, but it was just what I needed. Friendship and comfort food. I don't have her recipe, but here's a pretty good one that I like.

Shepherd's Pie
serves 6

1 lb ground beef
1 c chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t thyme
1 t sage
1 t cumin
1/3 c flour
1 c beef broth
1/4 c red grape juice
2 t worcestershire sauce
2 c cooked, mixed veggies
6 c instant mashed potatoes
2 t melted butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Brown beef, onions, and garlic, then add thyme, sage, cumin, salt and pepper.
3. Add flour, mixing well and continue cooking 1-2 mins
4. Slowly add broth and juice, mixing well. Reduce heat and simmer for 7-8 min. Add mixed veggies and remove from heat.
5. Pour into baking dish.
6. Prepare your instant potatoes per your instructions on box, then add the beaten egg and mix well.
7. Pour potatoes on top of beef mixture and smooth evenly.
8. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the potatoes.
9. Bake for 25 mins
10. Let cool for a couple minutes, serve and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment