Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Walnut Frosting

One word to describe this cake- YUM! I remember a friend of mine made it for me in Ohio. This is my version of the recipe though. (I added the walnuts because I love nuts in sweets)

The Cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 c boiling water
1 c oatmeal (old fashioned or quick)
1/2 c butter (1 stick)
2 eggs, beaten
1 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
1 t soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 t vanilla
1 1/3 c flour

Directions:
Pour boiling water over oatmeal and add the butter. Let stand until butter is melted. Add all other ingredients. Mix together well. Pour into a greased and floured 9×13 pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.

The Frosting
1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c evaporated milk
1-2 c shredded coconut (whatever you prefer, I like more coconut on it personally)
1 c chopped walnuts (or pecans) (optional)
1 t vanilla

Directions:
Melt butter in quart size pan and add sugar, evaporated milk. Bring to a boil and cook until thickens, about 4 minutes on my stove. Remove from heat and stir in coconut, nuts, and vanilla. Pour over cake and broil in oven until toasty looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment