Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lindsay's Spaghetti sauce

I have to admit I never had measured the ingredients for my sauce. I just made it up as I went along. Last nite I finally tried to figure out the measurements. Here's what I did:

(Serving 6 with left overs)

Put in medium sized sauce pan:

3 (6oz) cans of tomato paste
9 oz water (or 1 1/2 cans from the paste)
1 T veggie oil
1 t sugar
1/4 t pepper
1/8t salt
2 t Italian seasoning (this is a mix of marjoram, thyme, oregano, rosemary, savory and basil.. if you don't have this on hand then increase the oregano to about 2 t, basil to 1/2 t, thyme to 1/2)
1 1/2 t minced onion (optional)
1 t seasoned salt
1/2 t garlic powder (or you can substitute minced garlic, but NOT garlic salt)
1 3/4 t oregano
1/2 t parsley
1/2 t lemon peal (optional)
1/4 t thyme
1/4 t basil

You can also add 1 small can of chopped mushrooms and/or cheese to the mix, but if you do so you will need to increase slightly the amount of oregano, basil, and garlic powder, as cheese and mushrooms do tend to make the seasonings a bit more dull.

When you put together the tomato paste, water, and oil in the pan it will be slightly thick sauce. If it gets too thick while you are cooking it over heat then add more water though. It should be the consistency of Prego spaghetti sauce. My rule of thumb is that 1 can of paste makes sauce for 2 people; and 1/2 can of water per can of paste. Everything else was purely on sight. I will be playing with this one more, as I never make this sauce the same twice. I would encourage anyone who uses this recipe to certainly do the same. Serve it over your pasta of choice (our being spaghetti, angel hair, or elbow macaroni) and enjoy!

**note feel free to play with the amounts of spices when making the sauce to what you and your family like- I always do.. sometimes I'll add chopped mushrooms to my sauce as well**

No comments:

Post a Comment