Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Best Chicken Noodle Soup Ever

This is my mother-in-law's recipe- the best chicken noodle soup that you'll ever have. The directions and ingredients aren't exact measurements, but it really isn't that hard to make... FYI- I have made my notes of my adaption of the recipe in parenthesis.

Boil a whole chicken (or a large package of chicken breasts without the skin) covered in water with some pepper and dried onion or fresh onion.

Remove chicken to cool- strain liquid to remove excess fat and put it back in large pot.

Shred chicken to your liking, and put back in the pot with the liquid.

Add diced carrots (generous amounts) and celery and more onion. Boil to cook. Add 2 cans cream of chicken soup. Whisk until smooth. Add dried parsley, pepper, and salt.

~Noodles~
You'll need 2 eggs, about 6 T milk, about 1 t salt, and about 2 c flour. Mix will fork, knead a little to smooth out. Roll pretty thin (about an inch thickness). The noodle dough will be about 20" in diameter. Cut into noodles. Add noodles to boiling soup mix one at a time. Also add some bagged noodles (I like the corkscrews or the No Yolks kind personally). You'll get some crusty stuff sometimes on the edges of the pot. Either place back in the pot under the soup mix or discard to the side- either way it tastes fine. I think it takes about 15-20 mins max to boil the noodles. (Sorry I either forgot to ask her how long it takes or she forgot to write it down... or I forgot how long it took and she did tell me... lol).

Anyhow the soup will be pretty thick when your all done. Saves/ freezes/ reheats great! Try it- you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment